eGenting Bug Hunt 2015 is coming this November and the registration is now open. This will be the third year the company organizing the annual event and it will be different from the past few years.
What is eGenting Bug Hunt?
The eGENTING Bug Hunt is an annual software testing competition organized by eGenting Sdn Bhd to hire the best software quality assurance engineers. Contestants will be given a software specification and a software source code that theoretically confirms to the specification. Contestants are required to return a test procedures that can be used to test the software given and to detect potential bugs at the end of the competition.
How this year’s competition different from the past?
In the past competitions, there were two round of tests. In the first round, contestants are given a specification and a software program source code that theoretically conforms to the specification. Contestants are required to return a test procedures, a test results and optionally the corrected source code within 3 days via email. Contestants that return credible answer will be selected into second round. In the second round, contestants are invited to run the similar test at Wisma Genting with a computer provided.
eGenting Bug Hunt 2015 will be different. It is a full day, single round single shot competition. The competition will start at 10am in the morning and end 6pm in the evening. In line with the eGenting Programming Competition, it is a hand-writing and open books competition, therefore no computer will be provided. No electronic device is allowed during the competition. The competition will be held at the Wisma Genting’s auditorium.
Tips for eGenting Bug Hunt 2015?
Ok, you want some tips. These are some that I could think of:
- Read the specification a few time. Just ask if you have any doubt.
- Plan your time. Do not spend too much time on fixing the bug. Focus on preparing a quality test plans.
- Get yourself familiar with the following programming languages:
- Your test procedures should contain test cases that cover the given specification as much as possible.
- Testing methods that are important:
- White box
- Black box
- Don’t bring a trolley to carry your books. Believe me, you may not have much time to study in the hall. Two to three of reference books should be more than enough. You can consider to share books with your friends too.
- Bring your jacket. Your brain may not function optimally if it is too cold in the hall.
- Read more tips from the eGenting Bug Hunt Workshoup held in Wisma Genting on 19th August 2015.
Details of eGenting Bug Hunt 2015
Date And Time Of The Competition
- Date: 15 November 2015 (Sunday)
- Time: 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Tel: +603 2333 3276
- Email: [email protected]
Auditorium, 25th Floor Wisma Genting, Jalan Sultan Ismail, 50250 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
The competition is an open-book hand-written testing procedure design competition. You will be given a specification and C++/Java source code for a program that theoretically conforms to the specification. You are required to design and document testing procedures that verify the program to ensure that it satisfies the requirements described in the specification.
Breakfast, lunch and tea break will be provided during the competition.
- First prize – RM6,000 + *Job Offer
- Second prize – RM3,000 + *Job Offer
- Third prize – RM2,000 + *Job Offer
- Distinction – RM500 (Multiple prizes)
- Merit – RM200 (Multiple prizes)
* Subject to terms and conditions